Monday, May 2, 2011

Lions and Lambs




I remember clearly the fear, the pain, and the anxiety on that September morning not so long ago.  I could not let my child out of my sight because I was the only one to keep her safe.  We sat together and watched as planes crashed into buildings and fields and were grateful to be on the other side of the country.

Briefly there was a turning to God for respite.  Yet we went on and returned to controlling our own lives and circumstances, the need for God’s divine care no longer felt.  We turned instead to the might of our military and in our fear we felt the need to repay violence with violence.  In that we saw the other as the enemy forgetting that they too were Americans born and raised on these shores.  

Our fear led us to send our young men and women to foreign lands to make sense out of senseless violence.  They went knowing the cost and bearing the burden.  Their courage an inspiration.  Their dedication a gift.

Now the face of the senseless violence is dead and many cheer.  Yet as I wake on this May morning, I wonder what has really changed.  Terrorism will not magically end this day, neither will senseless violence cease.  War will still rage on.  We will continue to turn a blind eye to God.

I am brought to my knees as I cry out for mercy.  We are each God’s child, how have we become so blind to that?  All I can do is continue to reach to heaven with my words and tears.  I pray for the day when the lion lays down with the lamb and we embrace one another with no fear or prejudice.  Until then, Lord your will be done.

"O God, the Father of all, whose Son commanded us to love our enemies: Lead them and us from prejudice to truth; deliver them and us from hatred, cruelty, and revenge; and in your good time enable us all to stand reconciled before you; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen." [BCP, 816]



No comments:

Post a Comment