Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Shrove Tuesday


 Loving God, we thank you this night for celebrations: for gathering with family and friends, for food and fun, for the occasions that fill our lives with joy.  Help us cast off tonight everything in us that keeps us from living the abundant lives you call us to live.  Help us to exult in the goodness with which you bless us, by ridding ourselves of all that keeps us from loving and honoring you and each other, as sons and daughters of God.  Amen.

This is the prayer we prayed tonight in the midst of too many pancakes, laughter, rain, and the priest smoking out the parish hall without a fire extinguisher in sight.  It is a reminder that as we move into the season of Lent to find joy in the journey, to celebrate those times we come together as the family of God, those times we stand at the edge of something new, and those times we make mistakes in one another’s presence.

I came home to turn those burnt palms into ashes and was humbled again by the gift of this ministry.  As tears flowed faces came to mind and prayers were lifted up with the ash blowing in the wind. 

I pray this Lenten season be one that finds us growing in our relationship with the Triune God and one another and find myself singing the Servant Song, 

Brother, let me be your servant.
Let me be as Christ to you.
Pray that I might have the grace
To let you be my servant, too.

We are pilgrims on a journey.
We are brothers on the road.
We are here to help each other
Walk the mile and bear the load.

I will hold the Christ-light for you
In the night time of your fear.
I will hold my hand out to you;
Speak the peace you long to hear.
I will weep when you are weeping.
When you laugh, I'll laugh with you.
I will share your joy and sorrow
Till we've seen this journey through.

When we sing to God in heaven,
We shall find such harmony
Born of all we've known together
Of Christ's love and agony.
(Richard Gillard)

No comments:

Post a Comment