Thursday, October 4, 2012

community can put us back together...



i once came across a quote that said something to the effect of "it is never too late to have a happy childhood."  i held on to those words and at the age of 45 i found out it is true.

i had been doing some hard and holy work with a woman who helped me untangle knots in my soul and how to learn to see with new lenses.  in our work together i learned i had only one happy birthday memory.  

she suggested i do a brave thing and go back to the time that little girl inside needed a birthday party.  that little girl was eight and she had just moved to a new town and she knew no one.  her teacher that year was mean because she was left handed...there were probably other reasons, but that is what i remember now looking back from such a distance.

it was not a happy year and birthday celebrations didn't stand out as happy times.  so my 45 year old self shared that with a friend.  that friend knew it was sad and made a plan.

she learned that i learned to skate almost before i could walk and suggested a skating party.  

so she made reservations and she asked me to make a guest list...i didn't know why because my eight year old self didn't think anyone would come, remember i was left-handed.  

she persevered and a list was made.

then she made invitations...

and reservations...

and bought a cake...

and vanilla ice cream (my favorite eight year old flavor)...

and bought kazoos....

and some people thought it was silly, but my eight year old self could hardly sleep because she was so excited, but my 45 year old self kept hearing the voice of the hissing one...and i almost backed out...

but my dear sister was so excited about a party and presents and cake and skating with me...and i couldn't let her down, could i?

and the day came and on the ride to the skating rink i couldn't sit still.  we got there and i didn't want to get out of the car, but i got brave and i did.  i even walked through the door.

and when i did?  all those wonderful friends who understood it is never to late to help put a friend back together were there...

and we skated...

and ate cake and ice cream...

and i opened presents my eight year old self loved (and my 45 year old self giggled over)...

(one present that has been re-gifted to my sister is my bumble bee light which i turned on to remind me of the light of Christ i found in a special way that day.  i pray it lights her way during this hard time when she needs to be very brave)

and i listened to some very special people sing and kazoo happy birthday to me...




and i cried tears of joy...

and a big part of me got put back together...

and i learned that God had put me just where i needed to be...

and my lenses got a little clearer...

and at that skating rink i saw the light of Christ in people as they were his loving hands and heart...

and i learned that God redeems even when our lenses get cracked...



and that is how part of me got put back together by a community that loved me enough to be eight years old with me.

will you share a time your community helped put you back together?






10 comments:

  1. Wow!! What a beautiful memory! God works in wonderful ways with those who are brave to face
    their brokenness! Thanks for being an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this made me all weepy.

    This online community, they held me together while my mother was dying last year. They've held me together since when grief strikes without warning, and they continue to hold me as I approach the anniversary of the day. They've kept me from falling apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh Sandra, so sorry. we will hold you close through this time. praying, praying, praying.

      Delete
  3. what a blessed idea! I am going to ask some of my friends and family about this. It really does sound fun and healing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. trust me it wasn't my idea, and it was hard, but it was good.

      Delete
  4. This is such a beautiful story. What testimony to love from your friend and community. I especially soaked in the fact that a creative solution such as this was devised and the bravery it took to go along with the plan and just be eight again. I wonder if you noticed, or if anyone pointed out to you that you are actually glowing, GLOWING and RADIANT in these pictures, and I'm sure in the actual moment. An amazing story and moment.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete